David Uthman brings over thirty years of experience as a police officer and litigation attorney to criminal, DMV and traffic defense. He is the managing attorney for the San Francisco Traffic Law Clinic, which successfully defends thousands of traffic citations each year in San Francisco Superior Court, more than any other law office.
Mr. Uthman provides exhaustively researched and prepared criminal defense. His team of expert witnesses and private investigators, many whom also share significant law enforcement backgrounds, and legal assistants explore every means to gain a dismissal or reduction of charges. His staff is fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese and will assist in a comprehensive interview and investigation of Chinese speaking clients. He understands the importance of minimizing any immigration consequences relating to criminal charges.
Mr. Uthman has received the following awards and Certifications:
- 2017 National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyer
- American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys, 2017 Top 10 Best Criminal Defense Attorney for Exceptional and Outstanding Client Service
- Santa Clara University School of Law Public Interest Law Scholar
- Advance Certificate from the California Peace Officers Standards and Training Agency (POST)
- Certificate of Appreciation from the San Francisco Police Department for his work counseling disadvantaged youth.
Prior to practicing law, Mr. Uthman worked for almost a decade in California law enforcement as a police officer and deputy sheriff, primarily with the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office. He was twice named ‘Deputy of the Month,’ for doing an exemplary investigation at a homicide crime scene and for his investigation and arrest of a serial burglar. His assignments included working as a field training officer SWAT team member, Dive team member and court bailiff. Mr. Uthman retired from law enforcement in order to attend law school.
J.D., Santa Clara Univ School of Law
B.A., Univ of San Francisco
California State Bar